Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Quickie Tutorial: Stencil Embossing

Hey Sweetie Peeps!  Its been a long time since I've shared a tutorial with you and so today I shall give a quickie one on stenciling embossing.  This has been a popular technique I've used on cards I've shared and you'll be so surprised at how easy peasy this truly is. 

This card was created using an MSW card sketch.  I rotated the sketch and changed it up a bit to suit the vision I had in my head.  I really love using sketches for springboards in this way!
The cloud background on this card shows off the technique I'll be sharing today using some Crafter's Workshop stencils. Do you notice how the clouds seem puffy??  Pretty neat, right?  Let me show you how to do it.


 Since this tutorial is really so quick and simple I decided to go the collage route for the tutorial, follow along with the directions clockwise starting in the upper left hand corner.

Step One: Choose you patterned paper/cardstock and stencil you want to use.  Place the side of paper you desire to be embossed pattern down on top of stencil.
Step Two: Create you embossing sandwich. I use the Cuttlebug so my sandwich is A plate, B plate, stencil, paper, C plate.  Run this sandwich through the Cuttlebug.
Step Three: Gently peel away your paper from the stencil.  Notice I said peel.  Yes your paper may be stuck slightly to the stencil.  
Step Four: Stand back and marvel at your embossed piece of paper and prepare it to use on a project.  From here you can use inks, chalks, pens, and other soft dry mediums to highlight your embossed images.  I don't necessarily suggest wet mediums to highlight - they will take away a bit of the embossing and therefore defeat the technique.  But you can do what you like ultimately. ;)

This is what the cloud background looked like when it was completed with this technique:

Now it may take you a couple tries to get the embossing to work - just be patient and keep trying.  It'll happen. It took me a quite a few tries to get my alignment right and everything set before I actually had something work out the way I wanted it to.  At least you have the benefit of knowing which way the paper needs to be on the stencil - ha! ;)
 And here is another card I used the technique on, in fact it was the first one I ever tried this technique on:


You can see the original post for this card here.

Hope you like this technique and try it out!  If you do please share a link, I'd love to pop on by and see what you create using your embossed pieces. 

Have beautiful days!!


2 comments:

  1. My dear Scarlett, these cards are fabulous... I love the bright colours of the second one, but I think I love even more the first one, with its flying... House? Or is it a spaceship?
    Thanks for sharing this nice tutorial...
    Bonne journée !

    ReplyDelete
  2. how fantabulous!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sweet words - they mean so much to me!!